Properteco Logo

Speak to our team for advice

0800 046 6193

Radiation Protection Advisor

If workplace radon testing has revealed radon concentrations above the compliance level of 300 Bq/m3, you may need to appoint a Radiation Protection Adviser (RPA).

IRR17 – Radon In The Workplace

The Ionising Radiations Regulations 2017 (IRR17) apply to any workplace with annual average radon levels in excess of 300 Bq/m3. The Health & Safety Executive advises that “A Radiation Protection Adviser (RPA) with radon experience should normally be consulted about how best to manage radon exposures”.

Using a Radiation Protection Advisor

Radon ContractorsAn RPA will assess the level of radon present and the normal occupation pattern for employees. This will allow them to calculate the individual radiation dose that employees receive and compare this to limits set out in IRR17.

In the short term, an RPA can advise on maximum permissible daily or weekly time limits for employees to occupy the area of the workplace with high radon levels, along with reporting and monitoring requirements.

In the long term, it is usually more cost effective to install radon mitigation systems to reduce the levels of radon within the building. This allows the employer to make full use of their premises without restrictions on occupation times or the administrative burden of keeping precise usage logs.

HSE advises that “if the employer plans to introduce engineering controls to reduce the radon exposures, they will also need to consult a specialist radon removal (remediation) contractor.”

PropertECO Working With A Radiation Protection Advisor

It is vital that after any mitigation work is completed repeat radon testing is carried out to confirm that levels have fallen below 300 Bq/m3 so that the conditions of IRR17 can be lifted.

PropertECO work with a number of RPAs nationally to assist clients with meeting their legal obligations and offer a full radon consultancy, testing, design & mitigation service.

You can contact PropertECO for all radon advice and you can purchase radon testing kits online via the Radon Shop and you can call us on 0800 046 6193 or fill in the form on the contact us page to speak with one of our radon specialists.

How does Radon affect me?

Radon affects domestic and commercial properties in various ways and can ultimately result in death. Here at Properteco, we can advise, test and mitigate the risks.

Request Your Test Kit

With an independent lab, we will test the radon levels in your property and our experts will report back. If we detect radon, we will also advise how we can help.